1. Home
  2. »
  3. Consular Section
  4. »
  5. Services
  6. »
  7. Civil Registration
  8. »
  9. Petition for Correction of Clerical...

Petition for Correction of Clerical Error in Civil Registry Documents
Registered at the Philippine Embassy
pursuant to Republic Act No. 9048 / 10172

Republic Act (RA) 9048 authorizes the city/municipal civil registrar or the consul general to correct a clerical error or typographical error in an entry and/or change the first name or nickname in the civil registrar without need of a judicial order.

Republic Act (RA) 10172 authorized the city or municipal registrar or the consul general to correct clerical or typographical errors in the day and month in the date of birth or sex of a person appearing in the civil register without need of a judicial order (amending for this purpose RA 9048).

Requirements and contents of the Petition.

  1. Duly accomplished application form. ( Click to download the application form for ROM / ROB / ROD )
  2. Certified true machine copy (original issued by the Philippine Statistics Authority (PSA)) of the civil registry certificate (i.e. Report of Birth, Report of Marriage, Report of Death)
  3. At least two (2) public or private documents showing the correct entry/entries upon which the correction or change shall be based
  4. Other documents which the consul general may consider relevant and necessary for the approval of the petition.
  5. Applicable fee (¥7,000)
    In case of change of first name or nickname and sex, the petition shall be published at least once a week for two (2) consecutive weeks in a newspaper of general circulation. An Affidavit of publication from the publisher and copy of the newspaper clippings should be attached to the petition as proof of publication. Furthermore, the petitioner shall submit a certification from the appropriate law enforcement agencies (NBI Clearance, Police clearance, clearance from the employer if employed, and other clearances as may be required by the consul general) that he has no pending case or no criminal record.

No petition for correction of erroneous entry concerning the date of birth or the sex of a person shall be entertained except if the petition is accompanied by earliest school record or earliest school documents such as, but not limited to, medical records, baptismal certificate and other documents issued by religious authorities; nor shall any entry involving change of gender corrected except if the petition is accompanied by a certification issued by an accredited government physician attesting to the fact that the petitioner has not undergone sex change or sex transplant.

Who may file the petition? The petition may be filed by a person of legal age (eighteen years old and above) who must have a direct and personal interest (owner of the record, owner’s spouse, children, parents, brothers, sisters, grandparents, guardian, or any other person duly authorized by law or by the owner of the document sought to be corrected) in the correction of the error or in the change of first name in the civil register.

Where should the petition be filed? For civil registry documents duly registered in Philippine Embassy – Tokyo, the petition must be personally filed at the Embassy. Click this link to secure an appointment. Book Your Appointment with Philippine Embassy in Tokyo, Japan

However, in case the petitioner is a migrant or outside the jurisdiction of the Philippine Embassy, the petition may be filed in the nearest Local Civil Registry Office in his area. The petition will be treated as a migrant petition.

Petition filed at the Embassy will be forwarded to the Department of Foreign Affairs – Manila for onward submission to the Philippine Statistics Authority (PSA) for its consideration.

For any inquiries and/or clarification, please contact the Civil Registration Unit through email civilreg@philembassy.net